It's time for the next two recipes for my November Writers' Menu. Follow the recipes, freeze the results, and you'll have the next two meals prepped and ready for November. You'll find the grocery lists here if you missed them. Remember, you can cook a double batch: one to eat now, and one to freeze for next month. We're halfway there!
The next two recipes are Day 13 Italian Unstuffed Shells and Day 18 Slow Cooker Pot Roast. I've shared printable docs here.
|Italian Unstuffed Shells|
- 2 cups medium pasta shells (uncooked)
- 1/2 pound Italian bulk sausage or ground beef
- 20 ounces pasta sauce
- 3 ounces cream cheese spread
- 1/8 cup milk
- 1/8 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (optional)*
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
* According to Martha Stewart, substitute 1/3 the amount of dried herbs for fresh. In this case, that would be 4 tsp dried Basil. I used only 2 tsp and was happy with the result.
Instructions (via OnceAMonthMeals)
- Cook pasta as directed on package, in salted boiling water.
- Meanwhile, brown ground beef or sausage until no longer pink. Drain.
- Add to pasta sauce. Set aside.
- Whisk cream cheese spread, milk and Parmesan in large bowl until well blended.
- Drain pasta. Add pasta and basil; stir gently until pasta is evenly coated.
- Spread half the meat sauce onto bottom a greased 8×8 baking dishes. Cover with pasta mixture and remaining meat sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Cover with foil.
- Label with the following directions and freeze.
- Thaw in fridge. Bake at 375 degrees F covered, 40 to 45 min. or until heated through, uncovering after 30 min.
- 3-4 pound chuck roast
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 ounce package of dry onion soup mix
On cooking day, throw in some chopped carrots, potatoes, and onion to make a complete meal.
Instructions (via Living Well Spending Less)
- In bowl, whisk together soups, soup mix, water, wine and broth.
- Using a Sharpie, label the bag with cooking directions:
- Add roast and marinade to bag.
Thaw in refrigerator overnight.
Cook in crock pot on low for 8-9 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
Add chopped carrots, red potatoes, and onion to the crock pot after 2 hours.
If you haven't prepped for Day 3 and Day 5, you'll find directions here.