|Sam Tells Stories, second in the series |
by Robberecht and Goossens
Written by Thierry Robberecht,
Illustrated by Philippe Goossens
English translation edition, Clarion, 2007
originally published 2005
honesty, new kid, first day of school
"I'm Sam. I'm the most amazing kid in school. The kids at my new school just don't know it yet."
Sam tells stories at school and at home. About his dad meeting aliens or the dragon on the playground. When Sam has to tell more stories to cover up his lies, he begins to understand the consequences of his behavior. Sam comes clean, but not without consequences. He learns telling the truth is the best way to make a good impression and the truth he learns about himself makes him more amazing than even he thought he could be.
What I Love:
Though this book has a moral, it is couched in a kid-friendly story with a realistic main character. His stories are actually lies he tells to sound impressive. Sam doesn't escape the consequences at home or school, but he learns something wonderful about himself and his friends. Not saccharine. Sam is very authentic. Cute art with a lovely European vibe.
1. Enjoy the above goofy video (kids do say the craziest things) about honesty from Soul Pancake.
2. Thierry Robberecht has written more books about Sam which you can find on his Goodreads page.
3. If you liked Philippe Goossens art, you'll find more books he illustrated on his Goodreads page.
4. Nervous about the first day of school? Crazy for First Grade has plenty of activities, tips, and printouts for both teachers and families on her blog.
5. Kids of Integrity uses true stories from Biblical history to relate the benefits of honesty and the consequences of lying.
6. For a twist on the theme, watch Aladdin, Pinocchio, or The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe with your family to jump start the discussion on the causes and effects of lying.
7. Check out these and more Perfect Picture Books at your local library.
|Reviewed by Erik|
|Reviewed by Barbara|
|Reviewed by Jennifer|
|Reviewed by Susanna|
|Reviewed by Sue|
|Reviewed by Penny|
Have you reviewed a Perfect Picture Book along this theme? Please leave the link in the comments below. Thanks!
Check out all the recommended titles for Perfect Picture Book Friday
for Friday, September 9, 2016 https://susannahill.com/2016/09/09/perfect-picture-book-friday-ninja-bunny-sister-vs-brother/
available on Susanna Leonard Hill's blog.