|Thanks to Joyful Riot|
Today's Perfect Picture Book Friday pick is dedicated to moms and their kids, expecting mothers, and doggie mommies.
|Poor Louie, by Tony Fucile|
Written and illustrated by Tony Fucile
Ages 3-7, 40 pp
You're probably wondering what I'm doing here in the dark.
By myself. With all this stuff.
Louie the Chihuahua loves his pet parents. His life is perfect, until Mom and Dad begin preparing for real parenthood. Louie is convinced his happiness will end. Running away seems like the only solution, but the author-illustrator has something much better in store.
What I Love:
Tony's previous books are fun to read, so I knew this would be a winner. As I turned the pages in the book store I was struck by the beautiful balance between text and art. Tony's characters are utterly adorable. His style is vintage chic, timeless and appealing. As the story winds its way to the surprising yet inevitable conclusion, I found myself giggling, guessing, and hoping. I realized this book had staying power and bought it on the spot. It's a perfect gift for pet parents, older siblings, and parents-to-be, but kids will immediately relate to the main character. This is my new book crush...and I'm a cat person!
1. If you aren't familiar with Tony Fucile (pronounced Foo-Chilly), you can find an interview from a previous book, Let's Do Nothing! at Candlewick Press. Or watch The Iron Giant or Disney's Lion King or The Little Mermaid. Tony was a phenomenal character animator.
|DIY Network features this all natural |
dog treat recipe with bacon and peanut butter
3. Young readers might enjoy a free Chihuahua coloring page from Coloring Café.
4. Poor Louie is hilarious, but helping your pet cope with a new baby is serious business. Get tips from both sides of the cradle at Parents online and the ASPCA.
5. For the humans in your life, try this recipe for White Chocolate Vanilla Peanut Butter Puppy Chow from AverieCooks.
6. Check out these and more related Perfect Picture Books at your local library.
|Reviewed by Joanna|
|Reviewed by Penny|
|Reviewed by Diane|
|Reviewed by Erik|
|Reviewed by Wendy|
|Reviewed by Heather|
Check out all the recommended titles for Perfect Picture Book Friday
for Friday, May 12, 2017 available on Susanna Leonard Hill's blog.