|Sleep Tight, Snow White, released October 10, 2017|
Written by Jen Arena
Illustrated by Lorena Alvarez
Knopf Books for Young Readers, 2017
Ages 3-5, 32 pp.
Fairy Tales, Bedtime Rhymes
Sleep Tight, Snow White.
Seven dwarves say goodnight.
With simple preschool rhymes that roll of the tongue, author Jen Arena charms us again in her latest release, Sleep Tight, Snow White. Her bedtime picture book takes a dozen fairy tale and nursery rhyme characters and lulls them to sleep with short, playful rhymes on each spread. From the familiar Boy Blue to the classic Sleeping Beauty, the characters are encouraged to drift off to dreamland.
What I Love:
I've been eagerly awaiting this book's release and couldn't wait to share it with PPBF readers. Jen Arena has a way with rhythm which keeps readers moving through the pages. Parents are bound to love the traditional character choices as a way to introduce these time-honored tales to their little ones. Paired with the vibrant and mulicultural look of the illustrations, this sweet bedtime treat updates the stories in a retro-chic style that will appeal to all ages, from toddlers to grandparents.
I love the way the rhymes differ, tackling some of childhood's common obstacles to bedtime as well as injecting humor into the mix. I can hear myself repeating the Red Riding Hood Rhyme to calm nighttime fears, or the Princess and the Pea verse to settle a restless child.
1. You can read interviews with the illustrator, Lorena Alvarez, on NoBrow and Kit Soup.
|6 healthy fairy tale snacks from Happy Teacher Happy Kids|
2. Tara Lazar has hosted Jennifer Arena on StoryStorm and PiBoIdMo.
3. How Wee Learn has collected 45 nursery rhymes themed crafts for little hands.
4. Youthwork Practice posted a dozen outdoor activities for elementary kids on the fairytale theme or try 10 play-group activities from B-Inspired Mama.
5. For a few lesser know fairy tales, try these suggestions from the Perfect Picture Book Friday crew:
Clever Kaytya, by Mary Hoffman and Marie Cameron
Bearskin, by Howard Pile and Trina Schart hyman
The Warrior and the Wise Man, by David Wisniewski
Moonstruck, by Eve Bunting and John Sandford
6. Check out this small sampling of Perfect Picture Books and many more at your local library.
|Reviewed by Joanne|
|Reviewed by Susanna|
|Reviewed by Joanna|
|Reviewed by Penny|
|Reviewed by Beth|
|Reviewed by Joanna|
|Reviewed by Wendy|
|Reviewed by Maria and Vivian|
Have you reviewed a Perfect Picture Book along this theme? Please leave the link in the comments below. Thanks!
Check out all the recommended titles for Perfect Picture Book Friday
for Friday, October 13, 2017 available on Susanna Leonard Hill's blog.