|The Book of Jonah, retold and illustrated by Peter Spier|
The Book of Jonah,
Written and illustrated by Peter Spier
Baker Books, 1985, Biblical non-fiction,
Themes: History, Adventure, Religion
"One day, as Jonah the prophet was going about his everyday work, the Lord God spoke to Him. 'Jonah, I want you to go to the great city of Nineveh with a message from me."
The Book of Jonah follows the original narrative of the Biblical account from the call of Jonah through to the reprimand the prophet receives for his lack of compassion.
What I Love:
Anything by Peter Spier is bound to capture the attention of its readers. His graphic novel layouts tell the story with plenty of action. His illustrations engage the reader with a multitude of details. This edition also includes four pages of back matter, giving readers archaeological information about the Assyrian empire through maps, diagrams, and text.
|Lancaster County, PA|
1. Explore the science of aquatic life. Go on a whale watch or tour an aquarium.
2. Explore the history of Mesopotamia through the web or at museums like the Met.
3. Read about modern day Jonahs, like this article in the Rock City Times.
4. Handy with a needle? Dress the part with McCall or Simplicity patterns.
5. Make a clothespin fish from Messy Inspiration.
Check out all the recommended titles for Perfect Picture Book Friday for September 20, 2013.
Thanks to Susanna Leonard Hill.