|M is for Moving Forward|
Last week we talked about easy ways to make progress on your goals. But what if you haven't made any? What if your goals no longer fit? What if it's time to add a new dimension to your vision? What if you've already achieved what you set out to do or set your goals a bit out of reach?
Here is a SMART way to
Make progress and Measure your success.
- Specific – target a specific area for improvement; I would also recommend Sustainable goals at a Sustainable pace
- Measurable – along with specific areas, be sure your goals are specific enough to know if you are progressing; I would also recommend Manageable & Meaningful to your current situation.
- Attainable – within the realm of possibility; something over which you have control; Adjustable goals help you Avoid a domino affect, where each successive goal is built upon the previous one. One missed deadline can mean Annihilation of your entire schedule.
- Relevant – is your goal worthwhile, and is this the right time to pursue it? Which results can Realistically be achieved, given available Resources;
- Timely – specify when the result(s) can be achieved; one way to ensure this is to work backwards from your goal, assigning deadlines to each necessary step, that way you know what you have to do and when, including when you need to start.
Want to be even SMARTER?
Evaluate and Reevaluate. The nature of goal-setting is being flexible. Goals are there to help you improve, progress. Don't become a slave to your goals. If you find yourself needing to change direction, do it, but be SMART.
Don't forget to
- Write down your goals.
- Put them in plain view.
- Reward yourself.
- Build a support group with regular accountability.
* Follow the A to Z Challenge.